What is the Florida LambdaRail?
HostDime is proud to announce that our Orlando data center has installed a direct connect into the Florida LambdaRail (FLR)’s Orlando POP that will allow a direct connect into the FLR through a simple cross connect.
The FLR is an independent fiber optic network that deploys over 1,540 miles of dark fiber with a 100Gps backbone capacity covering the entire state of Florida. Here is their mission statement:
“Florida LambdaRail provides a cost effective, ultra-high speed, inter-connected, broadband service delivery network that enables Florida’s higher education institutions and partners to collaborate, connect, utilize, and develop new innovative broadband applications and services in support of their scientific research, education, and 21st century economy initiatives.”
This fiber provides direct connectivity to 12 universities, including our very own UCF, as well as various national and international networks, like Miami’s AMPath International Exchange Point and the Internet2’s network infrastructure via Atlanta. Here it is in all its beauty:
List of Universities
- University of Central Florida (UCF)
- University of Florida (UF)
- University of Miami (UM)
- Florida State University (FSU)
- University of North Florida (UNF)
- University of South Florida (USF)
- University of West Florida (UWF)
- Florida International University (FIU)
- Florida Atlantic University (FAU)
- Florida Institute of Technology (FIT)
- Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU)
- Nova Southeastern University (NSU)
This thing is fast. The accomplished goal of the FLR is to enable high speed communication between all Florida universities to collaborate on all types of technological research and do it affordably. Each partner is provided a primary 10 Gbps and a secondary 1 Gbps connection to the MPLS backbone. This highly scalable 100Gbps broadband network provides a 100-fold increase in data transfer capabilities, meeting whatever needs the institutions require.
HostDime’s Direct Connect to Florida LambdaRail
Most of these universities and institutions currently run hybrid cloud models or are looking into a switch to hybrid cloud. Whether this be a combination of on-premise and public cloud or a shift to completely on-cloud, HostDime can offer affordable cloud services to educational institutions seeking to migrate to the cloud.
Many enterprises today are leveraging the cloud and colocation products to decommission the need to run costly (in ongoing management and heavy Capex upkeep) on-premise micro data centers. Instead, they can rely on HostDime’s highly available and mission critical ready data center infrastructure. Not only can non-profit and for-profit schools leverage this, but also government agencies, hospitals, museums, libraries, and research facilities.
There’s several advantages to a direct connect to HostDime’s data center network if you are a member of the FLR.
- Many institutions are realizing they are overspending on major cloud providers. HostDime’s cloud services are more cost-effective through a hybrid cloud model (Colocation, Bare-Metal Servers, Private Cloud, Public Cloud).
- Local Data Center infrastructure: many public cloud providers are not connect locally to the FLR, while HostDime’s Orlando Data Center is, significantly decreasing latency.
- FLR members who connect to HostDime’s network via a cross connect can leverage our robust and highly redundant IPv4 / IPv6 network to connect to our high performance network AS33182
- HostDime’s Central Florida facility isn’t prone to the risks that come with being in South Florida.
- HostDime has relationships with all major hardware vendors and in many cases can handle management and warranty of any hardware for FLR members at wholesale rates.
Our LambdaRail direct connect option is simple. Try any of our many data center products or services and we’ll perform a direct connect to the FLR for a low added monthly cost of $350.00/month + $350.00 one-time setup fee.
HostDime connecting with the FLR is a match made in heaven for educational, governmental, and research institutions. For more information, open a ticket and we can set you up with a tour of our Orlando data center.
Jared Smith is HostDime’s SEO and Content Strategist.